Tuesday, November 09, 2010

The Beginning of Christmas Presents

Wow! Look at me go! Two posts in one week. Today I didn't have to work until the afternoon so I spent my morning organizing my kitchen and working on my sister's Christmas present. I decided about a month back that I would make her a decoupage recipe box and fill it with recipes. I spent the past week slowly copying some recipes out onto cards while I kept forgetting to buy the supplies I needed to decoupage. I finally picked up a brush yesterday and now I can share this craft with you.






Here are my supplies. Some old food magazines, a wooden recipe box, a foam brush, and Elmer's white glue.












I had already cut out pictures of tasty looking food so I just mixed up some decoupage paste (just added some water to the glue) and started painting the glue on the box and slapping pictures on.









After all the pictures got glued on and dried, I did a total of three topcoats (drying in between)




All in all, I don't think that I'm very happy with how it turned out. It just looks sloppy. I think part of my problem was feeling the need to cover every last space. I think it would have looked better if I left some of the wood showing. My decoupage needs some work. I think I'll be scrapping this and making her a scarf and some fudge instead.

No comments: