Friday, September 06, 2013

Why Hello There

It's been a while.  Sorry I keep find myself saying that.  I've been re-inspired to work on selling my crafts and creating a business with them so I'm back.  And confident that this time I'm here to stay.  Well I never really stop crafting and selling my crafts but I'm here to stay in the blogosphere.

So I craft for work periodically.  I was doing a monthly program for teen crafts that I eventually stopped for lack of attendance.  One of the last crafts that I did for it earlier in the summer was this neat rag rug I found on pinterest (of course, sometimes I forget what life was like before pinterest).  Unfortunately it was just me and one teen girl in the craft and it wound up being far too time intensive to finish in the hour-ish I allow for the program but the two of us still dug it.

For the past few days I've been determined to finally finish the rug that I started way back at the beginning of the summer (moving and other busy-ness had left it in a pile somewhere) and here I am to share the results!



I'm really happy with the way it came out and glad to use up a bunch of fabric I had laying around but it took so much that I wound up making a run to JoAnn's to pick up a few fat quarters to finish it.  It's a super easy project but my estimate is that it took 11 hours or so to complete.  The plus side is that you can easily do it while watching TV.  The downside is I'm covered with strands of fabric from the fraying edges of the cloth.



Basically you just cut a bunch of strips of fabric- mine are 5x1 inches and weave them in the rug backing.  I found the backing at Hobby Lobby near the latch hook kits.  You can see that you don't need to use every hole for your weaving for a full rug.  I was kind of all over the place when I started and then I just got into a rhythm of skipping two rows, doing a full row, skipping three rows, doing a full row and then repeating.  I did every square on the edges and when I skipped three I usually added a strip or two in the middle to keep it looking full.  Who knows if I needed to though.



This is the site where I found the idea on and her description may be better for you than mine.  Or you may find yourself wandering her site and finding other things to interest yourself :)  Also, feel free to follow me on pinterest.  I pin mostly food, crafts, and home stuff with a little clothing, laughs, and adorable animals thrown in .

No comments: