Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cooking Week 8: Slow Cooking Chicken and Dumplings

This week's challenge for cooking was slow cooking.  My original plan was to make a veggie soup in the slow cooker for the boy's work lunches.  It didn't work out.  I'll probably make it Sunday or Monday night instead.  For the challenge I decided to instead make chicken and dumplings in the slow cooker. 



I found a recipe in my big Fix-it and Forget-It book and adjusted it a bit to our tastes.



I threw in 2.25 cups of shredded cooked chicken, 1 c. chopped onion, 1.5 c. chopped carrots, 1.5 c. chopped celery, 6 c. chicken broth, and some garlic and basil. 

I let it cook on low for 6 ish hours.  Doesn't really need to be quite so long, but it worked with our timing since I had a program at work and we decided to take advantage of the snow and go sledding. 



After cooking it in the slow cooker, I transferred (okay, the boy transferred since I'm a total clutz) the soup into a stock pot, brought it up to a boil, and added scoops of dumplings I made from the recipe on the side of the Bisquick box.  Cook them according to package and enjoy!

No comments: