Friday, March 09, 2012

Baking Week 10: TV inspired Starfleet Combat Rations

Have I revealed myself as a total nerd on here yet?  Cuz I am.  In my quest to watch all of Star Trek, I've been rewatching DS9, which I think is my favorite.  In the episode entitled The Seige (which I will not go into details about so as not to spoil it) Miles O'Brien mentions his love of Starfleet combat rations.  Since I'd been toying around with ideas for this week's baking challenge and simultaneously trying to figure out what snack to make to bring with me on my flight to NYC next week, it was a light bulb moment for me.  I'd make combat rations!  Well in this case granola bars.



I adapted the recipe found here for my preferences and based on the suggestions in the comments.

The honey is in there already because I forgot to take a picture first.

First I mixed 2 c. rolled oats, 1/2 c. brown sugar, 1/2 c. wheat germ, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1 c. wheat flour, 1/2 c. unsweetened coconut shreds, 1/2 coarsely chopped walnuts, and 3/4 tsp. salt.



Then you make a well in the center and mix in 1/2 c. honey, 1/2 c. oil (I use canola), 1 egg (beaten), and 2 tsp. vanilla.



Pat mixture in a greased 13x 9 pan.  You can see I leave about 2 inches at the end so that my bars are thicker and chewier.



Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes, until the edges start to brown.



Cool for 5 minutes then cut and enjoy when you wish.

When telling the boy about my combat ration plan he suggested that I just make him poptarts and pipe the federation symbol on top because he wants everything he eats to be federation approved.  :|  I thought about piping it on the granola bars combat rations I made, but frankly I got too lazy.  I also imagine TRUE combat rations would be a little less sweet and a little more protein-y.

No comments: